Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Not a Horrible Day


So, after so many wonderful days in a row, I should've been due for a horrible one, right?

Wrong.

Maybe this wasn't a wonderful day, but it was definitely not horrible and there were many pleasant things about it.

First among them was the fact that I finally got FOOOOD!

I've been kind of living on rice and pasta etc and then I got bored of those after a few times and so then I was mostly subsisting on schoko musli and juice...

But now I have all kinds of wonderful things like applesauce and peanut butter and eggs!

So dinner was....

that thing at the top because I can't figure out how to get it down here. It doesn't look extremely appetizing, and the salsa was to compensate for the lack of salt/any-spices-at-all in this condo apartment, but it was still a delicious mushroomsriceggandpepper dish. :)

--Interlude--

Things Katie has learned from experience about cooking

Salsa makes anything better, only watch out because if you weren't planning on adding it until after you try the dish and realize it needs a special something (aka salt/sugar/spice), hot food+cold salsa=lukewarm but tasty food!

Cooking utensils were invented by someone who wanted to make money because they're absolutely unnecessary. Silverware works fine if your butterknives are sharp enough.

Rice can TOTALLY be made in a frying pan. Like, not fried rice. Boiled white rice.

Rice sticks less if you actually let it sit for awhile and let it congeal like you're supposed to rather than frantically trying to make sure it doesn't stick.

A little bit of dry rice makes A LOT of cooked rice.

Cold pasta sauce also makes hot pasta lukewarm.

Everything turns out fine without using oil or butter.

However, lack of a microwave and a freezer does complicate things a bit.

Cheese would be great if you knew how exactly to employ it.
because
Tomato-based dishes get a bit boring after awhile and you end up living on snacks and juice.

----

And I got my homework done and I really did manage to wake up at 5:30 today and we had to run for a tram again but no one almost died and I told Robyn about how funny it was that I went to that Bible study that was Christianity minus the religion and Erin heard. I could see her being interested--she asked what we usually do at a Bible study etc. And we had to talk a lot in the classes we "observed" this morning, but the group I was talking to in the first class asked me all kinds of questions so it wasn't bad, and then in the second class I didn't have super much to contribute to a discussion about the American school system, so I said what I knew and stepped back and let them do the rest. But the teacher of the first class corroborated what we had already heard: homeschooling is not allowed in Germany. (Oh, and it costs 1000-2000 E to get your driver's license, depending on how many lessons you need.)

(Oh and they love Johnny Depp--bunch of 8th grade girls, y' know)

I should probably go to bed now though...no early mornings but I do need a bit more sleep to stay awake in classes which I attend rather than the ones I observe and am not quite as at ease in...

And it was nice to get to talk to home and Maegan and Kelsey a bit :)

6-8 hour time difference and everything. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment