Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Are you ready for this? Part 4: Tuesday

Tuesday was our last day to have all 3 classes (Grammar, Linguistics, and Pedagogy) because it was the last day of Pedagogy. We took a grammar test at 8:30 and then had the above classes (with a one hour break) until 3. I really don't mind it--it's all stuff I like and am interested in. Like the differences between relative clauses and noun clauses--if you ever need to know you got my number. And then I turned in my Portfolio. Score-a-thon (I hope).

The one-hour break was interesting--we walked up to our room and there was light coming from it into the hallway, shining onto the housekeeper's cart. Interesting. Unlike in Sto-Jo, there is no weekly cleaning lady, but we walk in all awkwardly and the kitchen is spotless and the bathroom is spotless and the floors are mopped and we have more dishes and dish towels and the dishes are done and the trash is taken out and our halfway-gone dish soaps have been disposed of and replaced and, um, wow. She asked (in half english half German) if everything in the kitchen and bathroom was ours (I assume because she would dispose of it for us if a former roommate had left it?) and dried the floor and left. So, our first thought was, we might be getting a new roommate. My second thought was, yay! (Karlien's was: "Two words: Bathroom Situation.") My third thought was, I should probably get my laundry out of the hallway!

Then on the way back from class we saw that the window next to Erin's was open but that the curtains were closed so we tested the door...and...it was still locked. We do not yet have a roommate and have no idea why we were graced with a surprise cleaning of everything--hey, I'll take it!

Then I went to Bible study...then I went to bed. Made it back from their apartments in record time--half an hour door-to-door. :-D

So that, as far as I can remember dear readers, was Tuesday. The heat broke a tiny bit (80's instead of 90's) until we fit 6 people into Ke's room with a small fan (peashooter, as our TUD instructor described his this afternoon). Not so comfortable. But still a good time with good people. And Priska let me play the guitar a bit.

Two things I have learned about myself from going to Germany (aka, Special Powers You Never Knew You Had and What to Do With Them Now You've Wised Up):

1. If I stay someplace long enough and have enough contexts and pay attention, I can learn the language. (Church helps a bunch--limited Christianese vocabulary and with lots of regular-life words thrown in and some small talk vocab, translation, 2-3 hours long, intrinsic motivation to talk to the people who don't speak English, singing for phonetics and remembering words...it's fabulous.)

2. If it's a church song (because they're semi-predictable) that I know the chords to, I can play along with them singing if someone just hums the first line and gives me a rhythm. Hurray!

So that, dear readers, was Tuesday. Oh, and I combined walking with tram riding and ALMOST made it there faster...I should just leave 5 minutes earlier and all my tram-missing woes would be resolved.

So really. That was Tuesday. I'm really done now.

1 comment:

  1. Powers you never knew you had and what to do with them now that you've wised up....
    FANTASTIC! That's the first Harry Potter quote I've heard in a long time!

    ReplyDelete