Monday, February 7, 2011

Because it IS only 10:30...

*Note: If you're looking for the Paris post, that's the next one down. This one is the epilogue. Thank you, The Establishment/Administration

and because I found some awesome song lyrics...

i'll bring myself to write about today....

which was basically one ENORMOUSLY far too long string of facepalms.


This morning when I woke up I was really pretty exhausted because I feel like I was randomly awake at some point during the night, but I remembered my Gideon thing "go in the strength that you have" and got out of bed. It was even a little sunny today and I noticed that the sun was rising a BIT earlier, which helped.

On the way to class I suddenly thought, "Is my wallet in my bag?? I don't remember taking it out!" I spent a horrible hour in class half considering leaving to go home and check my desk but knowing that the thought, "OK, do I have enough change in my changepurse for lunch? Do I need my wallet?" had never crossed my mind. At the break, I pulled out my journal and realized, wait a second, I'm not actually upset about losing the cash and I can change my cards, I'm just upset because I thought I was a better traveler than this! I Lost My Wallet and good travelers don't do that so now I have to face the horribly alive fact that I'm not perfect and I still have a lot to learn. Like, who runs around with all your money and your debit card that you're not using all in one place? Who doesn't know their card numbers? Who cancels their credit card before realizing that it was actually ...sitting in her other wallet the whole time? Yeah. That would be this genius.

And I know it's so 2002 to put song lyrics on a post, but here's some obscure Relient K ones that you probably won't recognize but my ears perked up at "perfection" and I think they fit well:

I've given up on acting
Like I'm perfect
I advise you all
To do the same
Perfection's rare
So the last time I checked
We've all been introduced
To feeling ashamed

Dad helped me make sure I had done all the card cancelling and stuff properly and assisted in the invention of wildly semi-possible possibilities for its location and means of coming back to me and also assisted in the trying to convince me that I'm not permanently stupid. Grace is a lovely thing but it's kind of hard to find your way to it sometimes. No discipline is pleasant, but painful. However, I have definitely learned my lesson and have probably been saved from bunches more pain in the future. It'll be interesting to see how lunch works out on the 4 euro in my change purse, but I can eat here or potentially borrow 20 euro from someone perhaps until my new debit card gets here? All's well that ends well, and who knows, there's still a chance that it fell out of my purse when I was at church and not keeping 100% of an eye on it 100% of the time for once this weekend. And I'm not too concerned about it getting further lost there--we were in a little room in a bigger church with all kinds of keys involved. We'll see if this saga of the prodigal wallet gets continued or not!

At any rate, the rest of the day: Class was interesting enough, Alexandra actually made us work today but it was (a little too) easy and A-C let us talk a bunch this afternoon. I spent lunch cancelling my credit card, malheureusement, (unfortunately, given that it didn't need to be cancelled...) After class I came back here and talked to Dad, and then went for a walk in the park where I ran into Andrea! We really are just run-into-each-other friends because before today we didn't know last names or phone numbers. But we live right across the park from each other now :) and it was fun to talk to her about wallet loss and potentially traveling around together and stuff. And tomorrow's the Bible study, so we'll see how that goes. Sophie's coming to stay until Saturday starting tomorrow.

This evening I have blogged and done my laundry and that is basically all. Not super exciting, right? haha. Funny how too much blogging results in nothing to blog about but too much activity results in not enough time to blog! At least it's funny in my head. I enjoy blogging when it's for the admirable purpose of keeping loved ones informed and when I actually have stuff to say that doesn't get said here.

OH and at dinner Isabelle pulled out an album of when she used to work with Jacques Chirac (ex-president who was then mayor of Paris) as the person who coordinated his press meetings. CRAZY! Got started because she was around when they were picking out the design for the pyramid at the Louvre (a cool new entrance right in the middle of all the old stuff, see pictures when I load them). So that was interesting. :)

PS: Dad wins quote of the day with "Humble pie is sweeter with grace sauce." =D

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a trying day! I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that. I know that sinking feeling of losing something important, and it's NOT pleasant. It happens to the best of us--who try our hardest to keep everything together. Trials...God allows them, and we can't control our circumstances, but only our response and attitude to them. In that sense, I'd say you are doing great! God gives grace to the humble. Humble pie with grace sauce...Yeah! :) Love you bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was nice to have a double dose of Katie Yackley today, two excellent posts.
    And not that it really matters, but the Mona Lisa is in a case that is grenade proof. It's also sealed against outside air and all this other stuff to help preserve the Mona Lisa.

    ReplyDelete