Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Three layers do not a sweater make.

1. Last post was my 100th.
2. Why can I never think of anything to do at 7 and then remember it all at 10:30??


Despite waking up on time, I got to class at the same time today (early, just a little bit less early) because I couldn't figure out what to wear. My first outfit looked like an easter egg and if I had had time I would've taken a picture. I'm sorry, I didn't have time. I ended up with cutesy layers (I guess?) and therefore didn't want to cover my creation up with my non-shrunk sweater but my shrunken sweater is still shrunken (still in therapy--one of the things I couldn't remember at 7)...so I wore my tealy sweater which just did not quite do the trick...ah well.

I ate at the cafeteria with Andrea which was warm. I had "fish," entre guillemets (in quotes) because it neither tasted nor smelled like fish and in fact looked basically just like the rabbit. Hmmm...At any rate, it came with couscous, veggies, an enormous hunk of bread, and strawberry? applesauce, not to mention the good company. We were going to try to do a Bible study but Laura and Emily both had other things they had to do so Andrea and I just talked about life less than superficially which was good--without actually opening a Bible or praying, we realized on the way back to the Institut, but it was good nevertheless.

I was all alone in the first row in civ class this afternoon which did not prevent my eyes from getting a little heavy for the first half (all that food, less joking than normal, fewer touristic sites to jot down...y'know). Hopefully it wasn't too bad. Afterwards I talked to the prof about how hard it is to get to Giverny (Monet's hangout) and he was like, noooo, don't go, you'll be disappointed if you go before late April! He did tell me about a free park and a Monet musem in Paris, so it wasn't a wasted conversation!

After class I came home, wondered why I had come home, ate a chunk of baguette with some Nutella really quick (since that was partially why I came home ;), dropped off my books and water bottle and went back out adventuring. List: buy stamps, get minutes on my phone, buy a Bible. Andrea had described where she had gotten hers and I had a vague idea but I had to awkwardly turn around in the middle of a road thanks to Holy-Spirit radar and was just starting to think things like, "You have no idea where you're going and don't even know what it's called, this is dumb" when I saw "Librerie Evangelique!" I managed to ask the proprietor about the Bible versions (after he said *gist-bubble alert* "If you have any questions, I can try to answer them" after I had stood, comfortably looking at the lovely book-covered shelves, for like 5 minutes). I actually understood him and he understood me except when he started talking over me before I had finished my "is it translated word-by-word or thought-by-thought" question. That's probably one of the most irritating things (and I probably do it to my international friends all the time, sorry!): when people wrongly finish your sentences for you! Merci beaucoup, mais pas du tout! (Thank you very much but not at all [what I was trying to say]). So I got a cute little "Bible du Semeur" that's navy blue just like my favorite NIV.

Then I went shoe shopping kind of (just went in to look and successfully managed to say that I was just admiring the general splendor) in this awesome little shop that was just COVERED in shoes. I wish I could've taken a picture. I feel like Americans would have that thing torn apart in seconds, but since people touch merchandise less here, the piles and layers stayed nicely (if precariously) arranged. The shoes ranged from 25 out front (which suckered me in--ironic since we had just talked about this in business French) to 65 or 100 euro.

I continued my shoe shopping at Mille Affaires, which is kind of like a Big Lots, where I had seen flats for like 7 or 8 euro. You get what you pay for; they were rather dusty and VERY firmly uncomfortable and ungiving in the sole. Oh, the punnery I could elaborate...I'll let you do it. Things will be more interesting that way. =)P But I amused myself with trying them on (other women were) and I discovered 1. that I'm a 39 or 40 depending on brand and shoe style (leaning towards 40) and that 2. Once again, I really like looking at shoes better than wearing them... *sigh* Sometimes I just don't feel like I can pull it off! (Or stand heeled boots...that neither.)

Then on the way back I got myself a macaroon--pistachio. It was very yummy--definitely all on the sweet side--but I felt bad because I forgot my new Bible in the fun of my macaroon and my--oh I forgot--my HAT! I guess things are back in their proper order.

After looking at shoes at Mille Affaires, I wandered into the scarf aisle. The chicks here tend to wear these enormously thick, loosely but patternedly crocheted scarves, so I wanted to check out prices and available styles even though I'm quite content with my scarves. Then I saw the hats. Andrea had been saying how she loves her new hats and "Aren't you cold without a hat?" Yes, but it's just because I'm cold in general, but you have a point...I brought my red one but it doesn't fit so well with my coat and scarf and stuff and I saw this grey one for six euro. I tried it on like four times and almost didn't get it based on the fact that it "rides up" (if hats can) when I look too far up, but it was SO CUTE and I'm so tired of hating going outside that I got it in the end. It's more epic with all my gear on (because my scarf ties the black coat in with the grey hat), but here's a picture anyway. Nope, here's not a picture because I never took one like I thought I did. But here's me and my macaroon. :)




At least you can see where my hat pinned my wispy wanna-be-bangs to my head...and my horrifically smudged eyeliner! Eek! I should let that rub off for a few days... *sigh* So the hat's grey wool and it has a flower and it's...hat shaped?? I'm sorry!

Um, so after I returned here I tried to do a bit of exercise and enjoyed Hervé's Bach from the other room, and then finally read my (new!) Bibble and journaled which was, of course, lovely, and it's just dumb that I didn't do it sooner, and then we ate dinner--oh I have some catching up to do in that arena.

Last night we had duck with potatoes in a glaze (the same little baked ones we had the other night--Isabelle knows how to not waste a thing!) and a fruit salad for dessert. Tonight we had the most delicious soupe yet (potatoes, poirot, carrots, with plenty of cream I think) and --oh man I forget the name. But it started with a c and is sausage with something in a b--béchamel sauce. It was also tasty. And Isabelle got new yogurt flavors so I tried cranberry. Have I mentioned the yogurt flavors before? Before we've had strawberry, apricot, pineapple, and prune most often (yes, prune yogurt does vaguely resemble barf, but it tastes fine, why do you ask?) and now we have cranberry and kiwi and one that starts with m and has 5 letters. I'll remember when I have some for breakfast. =)P

Which I hope will be soon because *yawn* I don't know about you *wait the yawn goes here* but I'm exhausted! I guess all that walking around DOES have an effect.

La la la...until soon, readers! OK ok, dear readers ;)

PS: I decided to go back to the minutes store during my break tomorrow when it's not so busy, and the post office was closed by the time all that adventuring was wrapped up.

PPS: If I don't post tomorrow, try not to panic, I'm going to a Chinese restaurant to celebrate New Year's Eve with my classmates and I'm really excited!!! =D

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like Kaite's grand adventures were very successful! I'm glad you found a cute hat--you gotta do something to make the cold more bearable, huh? And the food sounds yummy too--we're having quiche again since it was such a big hit last week. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hat shaped... oh dear.

    Head shaped? with a brim? no brim? any sort of like folding up at the bottom or something? I'm assuming the flower is flower-shaped (haha) and off to the side a little. Hah!

    Pictures would be nice... haha! I'm so proud of you :-P

    I like holy spirit radars :-P

    Oooh, ooh, I knew it was Chinese New Years Eve! And not because of the Prentice party either! haha

    have fun girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHHHHH!!! You didn't post anything today. PANIC!!!! The world is coming to an end. SNOWPOCALYPSE is already starting to destroy Ohio!!!!!


    I may be over reacting just a bit, but I feel that it's a necessary measure. :-)

    ReplyDelete