Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Oh Tuesday...this is truly an "everyday" post

Tuesdays are long but they're the first to feel like a habitual day.

I didn't want to wake up this morning so I was almost late to class except that the awesome thing about France is that they're on polychronic/GCM/Yackley time and I have "been late" like 5 times and always gotten there before 90% of everyone else. It's a very interesting phenomenon. However, I want to be "on time" aka early, tomorrow, so I'm going to bed early tonight!

Class this morning was nothing spectacular--I think I was tired--not like falling asleep tired, just a bit more of a spectator than a participant.

I ate lunch with Andrea and Laura at the cafeteria with two random people--a Panamanian guy and a Dutch chick. Hence, we didn't do a Bible study. But I'm planning on going to the thing tomorrow night. So that's cool.

Afternoon class yeah sure whatever...XL randomly asked me how I chose God, which was interesting and completely unexpected so I was all like, "How I chose the lieu (place)??" "Non, Dieu!" So I just told her quick (we were in between classes) about how I "accepted Jesus" when I was 5 but got it a little more in middle school ("12 is a difficult age") and how I really decided I wanted to follow him in highschool at conferences and stuff. And how I don't feel lonely even if I'm all alone in a city now and I used to fight with Hannah and Abby all the time but now I have patience. So pray for XL! She also has gotten info from Jehovah's Witnesses and I should do my research to know what the differences are... :)

I told Loic that I would research cereal for my little marketing homework (Y) and the lesson about segmentation was cool...

I came home a little overwhelmed with everything I had to do but ate some Bibble and nutella bread and managed to STOP eating nutella bread and got going on the first thing and before I knew it, I had done a bunch! I had to call a benevolent association that we got put in touch with to possibly volunteer as an afterschool English tutor. It was an interesting phone call but I got along fine and the president's husband said he would have her call me back. A smart person would have her phone with her, but as we have recently seen, I am not necessarily a smart person. =)P (But I know, yes, I'm not stupid :) I also emailed about housing and student teaching. (Y)

I cleaned up my room and laundry and helped Claire with some homework (the uses of the word "take" and its use in phrasal verbs "take to" "take after" "take me on as") and talked to Kelsey-Kels a bit and then Claire and I ate a DELICIOUS tarte (quiche) that was full of peppers, potatoes, mushrooms, carrots, ...MMMMM. =D We did our usual and ate in front of the TV (after soupe, during which we talked nicely) where, surprise of all surprises, PUSHING DAISIES WAS ON!! I didn't remember the episode at first but it was the one about Lenez (the nose) and the guy who lived in the gutters and Emerson's pop-up book. I feel that it translates well to French culture. And Claire spent half of it trying to figure out the dubbed voices because they're famous so apparently it's not nothing. :) The parents are out with Sophie someplace.

And now we're continuing to watch a show where they fix up houses that are having a hard time selling. :) And then we're going to bed early because we're tired.

But Kelsey suggested this and I think it's a good idea--a person key. Like before works of Shakespeare.

Isabelle, Hervé, Alexandre, Stéphane (Anne-Sophie), Sophie, Claire <=my host family, parents and kids in order of birth with girlfriend in parentheses
Classmates: Z, J, XL, KC <>
Lunchmates: Emily, Charles, Hannah
Church people: Andrea (from Texas, on a year sabbatical before med school), Laura (from Indiana, masters student at BG), Muriel and Helene (really nice welcoming chicks at the church)
Brother and sister people: M, leader; D, his wife; H, their daughter; JL, awesome Chinese chick, and P, an American from Louisiana who said I can stay with her if I go back to Paris.

Am I forgetting anyone?
Oh, profs--Alexandra teaches oral, A-C teaches written and is married to Loic, who is the 4th level teacher but also business French teacher.

C'est tout! That's all! A demain! Until tomorrow!

PS: I went in and sat with the "adults" while they ate and talked about the play they went to see (Chekov, very depressing) and then about books (Jack London: Red Plague [Scarlet Fever?] about the end of the world and also rather depressing). I tried a raisin-ified pear which was pretty good and evoked memories of the crazy Taiwanese prune I tried last year in Prague (Prague had nothing to do with it really though, it was my Taiwanese friends). It was a little less intense, fortunately. :-)P

Oh, PPS: I haven't kept you in the loop about yogurt flavors: Mango (N), Cranberry (Y), and apparently I just really like kiwi because Kiwi yogurt is THE BOMB. My new favorite. :)

PPPS: (Y) means thumbs up/like and (N) means thumbs down/dislike. Skype talk, you know. =)P ...That face is actually also from skype because I prefer a tongue face that smiles. =D

3 comments:

  1. Funny how time and schedules and "on timeness" varies in different cultures. I guess I knew that, but thought maybe in "official" situations like school, it may be more consistently on time. But it's kind of nice too!

    Yay! You got to see Pushing Daisies! How fun! Who knows what you might run across next!

    And how cool that XL asked about God. Glad you got an opportunity to share more with someone who has questions. You are a sweet aroma! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which Chekhov play was it?

    He's not depressing, he's Russian. The French wouldn't understand... XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. no idea, it was the end of the world though

    2. bahaha! The French are actually fairly pessimistic...which is not the same thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete