Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 2!

Eh bien.*

*Well then, well, ...tough translation there. :P

Yesterday one of my host brothers and his girlfriend came over for dinner, which we ate at like 8. By that time I was a little too tired to make sense of anything that wasn't directed directly to me. And plenty was: note to all: if you're going to live in a foreign country, know, in population size, how big your home city is! Someone might ask and you might look dumb if you don't know!

We had pasta and salad and of course plenty of cheese and bread. Tonight I think we're having soup. I ate so much! And then went straight to bed, which was a little weird.

I managed to set the alarm on my cell phone for the right time, besides the fact that it's now on Chicago time because that's the last place it had a signal. I was so used to setting it six hours before while we were in Germany that this'll be a bit of a switch. I was restless enough though that I woke up at 7 and could double check that my phone said midnight.

So then I got up and made it to l'Institut with plenty of time and plenty of layers. I ran into a couple other kids on the way and eventually managed to find the others. We took a placement test (I think I did fairly well on everything written and not too good on one of the listening sections--why would you test people on a conversation in an amphitheater?? It's so echo-ey that only natives would be able to understand it! I mean really...But hopefully that won't hurt me too badly and hopefully the jet lag won't have affected what I wrote...if so, I can claim "jet lag" as my excuse.

Then we walked all over Tours and most of the time I had no idea where we were exactly, but oh well, at least things will look familiar next time!

Oh and we had lunch at the student cafeteria for only three euro and one of the girls had to lend me it because I thought I had left my wallet at home but it was really just in the bottom of my bag: prime example of how jet lag affects the faculties. That and I was having so much trouble finding words when I finally got back and had some nutella toast with Claire. It's easy to talk to her, she's very matter of fact and younger than me. I feel like I just heard my name. Hmm.

Wellll, after the walking around Tours forever my feet hurt and I came back and took a quick shower and checked with my host mom about going to buy a notebook with the other non-BG er with the program and she recommended a little place that was close and easy to find and probably not all that cheap but whatevs. I'm sort of ready for class tomorrow. :P

And now I shall go help with dinner--something a bit familiar, at least the helping part even if the dinner isn't--and hopefully continue to recover from jet lag and much activity. Class starts tomorrow at 10--although this week is mostly just to make sure that you're in the right level. :)

Alrighty, hasta luego! Spanish. Until then. :)P

No comments:

Post a Comment