The afternoon was very interesting and entertaining and I stayed quite awake, perhaps thanks to my clementine.
I had lunch with Andrea, whom I met last Wednesday and goes to the institut and the same church. It was quite lovely and we split a pizza and then got hot drinks afterwards. I didn't wash my hands or use purell before consuming my pizza and maybe I'm a hypochondriac but then why am I so tired at 10? She speaks Spanish too and therefore it was a little difficult that EVERY OTHER PERSON (sauf [except] the proprietor) in the little tiny space was speaking Spanish. She managed admirably and, funnily enough, it didn't even bother me. I wrote a little message to Nicole, one of my Spanish-speaking friends, on fb, and I can definitely see where French is going to creep in to my Spanish (even though the dumb "semana pasado" trips me up every time I try to say last week or last summer because it's the direct translation of "last" in French but I always want to say "passed" from Spanish! That's STILL working its way out of the system!)
I don't think I really did anything when I got back from class. Oh! I watched TV with Claire. And ate some nutella bread and a piece of toast. I really like separating the two toasted sides of bread. It's very amusing. And then I read over my homework and then continued to read L'enfant de dimanche which is a kid's book and therefore a little (a lot) less dense than Pierre et Jean, to whom I will return in due course.
Actually, I may have to change some classes around and I hope it doesn't mess me up, but I'd really rather take my one hour a week in business french rather than french lit and hopefully Dr. Beright* will wave his magic wand and perform a course substitution without objection.
*name changed to protect identity.
Can someone come get this knot out of my shoulder? Cool, thanks.
Tonight Stéphane and Anne-So came over for dinner and it was a bit of a celebration because Anne-So got some exam results back and can now write prescriptions! So we had champagne and I couldn't finish mine. It again tasted like sparkling grape juice, this time plus the bubbles, and again plus mouthwash minus the mint. I didn't mind the taste (although I mean I'd rather just have sparkling grape juice =D) but it just wasn't agreeing with me and I wanted to enjoy dinner. I had a bit of a harder time focusing to understand tonight but there were still definitely some laugh out loud moments. :) Anne-So and I kept laughing and exchanging looks every time I caught myself before saying "ça marche" but I forgot to tell that story so you're just going to have to wait to get it. Sorry. =)P
Because now I'm EXHAUSTED even though it is, indeed, only 10 (thirty), and I did, indeed, only walk a little bit today, but I'm just going to listen to myself and go to bed. I'd really rather not get sick in France ever again, be it a cold or the flu or what have you. Whatever it is you have, don't give it to me! So if you pray while I'm sleeping that would be nice. And unless the lights are flickering, I'm blinking really slowly, which means it's either 3 in the morning or I'm shutting down. haha :) I always find it funny when that happens. But you have to love it when eventually the lights ARE flickering and you ask the person next to you, "Did the lights just flicker or am I just blinking slowly?" And then they look at you like you're crazy.
Speaking of the person sitting next to me, I almost forgot to mention that one of the Chinese girls, XL for short (like the Karen girls are all about doing at the moment) invited me to come eat at the Chinese buffet in 8 days (that is to say, next Wednesday) to celebrate the Chinese New Year. =D So I was pretty pumped.
Oh and I just about DIED of mild internal chuckles in Oral Comprehension> Listening today when the prof ended up giving an hour long lecture on grammar. Like not just grammar, pretty out-there, theoretical-type, so-super-basic-you-never-end-up-talking-about-it grammar. (Because you wouldn't understand it right at first and then when you have the gist, well, you have the gist, so who needs theory?) I'm pretty sure 90% of the class was about to fall asleep, but Rachel said she enjoyed it, and when I put on (past tense) my I'm-going-to-be-a-teacher-someday hat I ended up taking a good bit of notes. (What's with all the hyphens? Geez!) And just in an observing sense, it was so funny to watch her get so into it. I mean she's funny anyway. But she was so into it! Like she was some out-there philosophy (or conflict management!) prof. =D
Oh and here's a lesson for everyone in the whole world but especially those who enjoy frequenting park benches: If you have to search the bench with extreme care for a spot that will not spot your rear with bird poop (like the same bench did yesterday), DON'T SIT THERE. Even if the trees above you are really pretty, do you know what's sitting in them? Digesting birds. Who apparently enjoy frequenting the airspace above park benches. That is to say, right as I was sitting down to nicely read my Bibble after class, *plop.* On the front of my coat but not in my hair, so a quick trip home and a bit of toilet paper cleaned that up nicely...perhaps less nicely than could be desired but I've taken a mental note of the paper towels behind the door in the case of such a future eventuality. Toilet paper is a little fragile for such a job, though highly appropriate, I'd say.
And after those two charming little pre-PSes, I think I shall really turn in. But not to a pumpkin, because it's not 11:30 yet. Beating the Fairy Godmother to the punch (but not to a pulp) tonight. Wow, do I ever get creative when my brain's on the brink of (extinction) sleep.
Arrête! Stop! (that's pronounced "stup!" --a sharp little u that's pretty friendly with the o family)
no really now...
Good night!
PS: Claire's hooked on Her Morning Elegance now. And tends to get "Chasing Pavements" stuck in my head. =)
PPS: I had something else that I forget now.
PPPS: I remember! Am I really amusingly creative or just so tired I think I'm creatively amusing or both? tee hee :)
You are creatively amusing in the face palm sense :-P
ReplyDeletePLEASE tell us the ca marche story!
eww "highly appropriate" Wow. Haha!
I don't really get why the grammar story's so funny... just because it was a boring topic and the teacher was really into it?
What, the whole EDD thing? I completely forgot that...
Oh, and I would love to come to France to get that knot out of your shoulder. The actual back rubbing would be free, but I expect all expenses to be paid... haha!
Hello, u I'm happy to meet u... I hear your mother is a cousin of the o family? ah yes, I see it now... cousin. Yes, the o and the u are quite close.
At first I thought you said it tends to get "carried away" stuck in your head... but that's only because I stick Her Morning Elegance with Carried Away in my filing cabinet brain :-)
Good night!
1) Is Dr. Beright the opposite of Dr. Berrong? Haha - I got the punnishmeant!
ReplyDelete2) Why did you get toilet paper? I'm sure the bird was far away by the time you got back. (Sorry, stupid dad joke).
3) Can one really die of mild internal chuckles?
4) Were you having a bit harder time understanding at dinner because you had a bit too much champagne? :D (BTW, mouthwash without the mint = alcohol) So... yeah.
5) I love reading about your day! Sleep tightly and I'll pray for your health. Maybe I'll drink to it to. j/k.
BAHAHAHA HANNAH! You're as bad (good ;) as me!
ReplyDeleteoh sorry Dad, we were commenting at the same time
ReplyDelete1. I repeat what I said on skype: BAHAHAHAHA (Y) :D (Y) (to the punnishmeant)
2. Yes, yes it is =P :)
3. That's one of those things where you change what you're saying halfway through the sentence.
4. I mean it's possible but highly unlikely...I'm pretty sure my mental deterioration was pre-champagne. (yeah, I know...mouthwash has gotten a little bit grosser...hmmm)
5. I'm glad! that's why I write about it! thanks! ha ha very funny :)
Oh, my! I'd say you're ALL Very Creatively Amusing! I know I'm amused!
ReplyDeleteHowever, I'm tired too, so I'm not nearly as creative or amusing myself. So, I'll just say that I loved this post and hearing about your day. I'll pray too that you stay well and get a good night's sleep which will leave you feeling refreshed and ready for a wonderful Wednesday!
First, if this was facebook Hannah and Mr. Yackley, I would just 'like' your comments. Second, I second Hannah's comment about wanting to hear the ca marche thing. Third, the Cinderella paragraph was really amusing. Fourth, (how did I get four I was only supposed to have 2? Maybe 2^2? Anyways) I actually knew "arrete" because there are ridges in glacial landforms that are called arete's. We learned about it in Geomorph and the name comes from the fact that an arete will stop you progress up a glacial valley.
ReplyDeleteHappy sleepings.
Very nice post! I definitely thought about the mental deterioration being because of champaign, but if it's pre-champaign... well... that's just you. You don't need alcohol for mental deterioration. HA! Love you.
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm tired too... because I skipped an entire section of your post, read the comments (just spelled read "red"), and went back up because I didn't get part of Hannah's comment. WHEW.
And I'll take credit for Claire liking Her Morning Elegance. (You can actually give credit to Brandon! hahahahaha)
Again, love you!
Abbs
Katie Yackley, I love you :) I don't think it's purely the sleepiness, but that last section of you post was really creative and funny and of course punny :)
ReplyDeleteWe miss you back here in Kent, but it's really fun to read about your adventures in France-land!