Working backwards: Just got done watching LOL with Claire--teenager angst film, French style, so it was interesting to see that bit of culture (complete with heaps of slang and bad words I didn't catch, but Claire explained the necessary ones and left the other ones lie). Culture: From what I could see, friends are a lot more touchy-feely. But if I extrapolated everything, I would also think that everyone has perfect hair and skin constantly and doesn't care about grades and argues constantly with parents and smokes (OK true) and does drugs (probably not as true). We had fun together. We had ravioli and bread and salad for dinner. I had a bit of a dilemma earlier because I had heard from Andrea that there was a Bible study tonight at a random bar that I knew how to find and I haven't really had anything like what you could call fellowship this week which is not entirely cool (besides lunch with her and that was just getting-to-know-you), so I was really torn about going, but in the end I decided to stay here and do my homework and my laundry and not leave her all alone. We traded homework help. I got to use my mad description-of-past-tenses skills. =D I hope I didn't throw her off. :/p After class I wandered around a bit--the French word is "flâner"--and bought another folder. The lady at the register called me Madame and I was like, "Do I really look that old??" but Claire said they would call her Madame and it's just a respect thing. Class this afternoon was fine. Alexandra (the prof I keep mentioning) let us do speaking practice instead of labo again =D. Lunch was AWESOME. Not really because of what I ate--I wasn't super hungry after having a sumptuous breakfast, but I had a grilled ham and cheese (croque-monsieur) with two clementines. Hannah got her hair cut (for a mild 45 euro) and so we spent most of lunch reassuring her that her feathered bangs are totally awesome and very French and reassuring Charles that he wasn't going to die of the girliness surrounding him and that it was very traumatic to get a haircut, even a good one, and she needed support. Now I have to work backwards some more. I shall now start with class this morning and meet lunch in the middle. We did an AWESOME exercise where we had to write either a declaration of love, a love letter, or a break-up letter. I was like, great, for once I'm actually sitting at a table with a guy, this is going to be awkward. It's the Turkish guy who talks a lot, but he's cool. We wrote a hilarious breakup letter in which the chick's nickname was "My eternal lover" and the guy writing the letter's nickname was "my little cat" and he declared that he just couldn't live up to her expectations and he had heard through the grapevine that she thinks he's lazy but he works those 5 hours a day for her and their future! Her hair and eyes used to be awesome but now she just does stupid stuff with them and yes, that blue dress does make you look fat. It was nice and long and hilarious and in fact, the whole entire class wrote funny breakup letters except for one group who wrote a truly poetic one from a man to his dead wife. :( It was still a good class. And at the end of the class, the guy I was working with pulled out chocolate (as half the class does during the breaks) and offered me a bit and it was dark chocolate and that's when I decided:
We're chocolate covering stuff for Easter. Sound good? OK. I thought so. That was the one time that I wished I had instant communication with the States, and that's what I would have said. I will get up in the wee hours of the morning when I can't sleep and go buy the chocolate and do it myself if everyone else is busy. Because I won't be *sarcasm? I hope not...*.
But anyway, I'm so used to having dark chocolate with marshmallows that when Emily proposed a trip to the grocery store after lunch I was quite OK with it. A couple days ago I resisted buying these little (milk) chocolate covered marshmallow bears, but today I bought the absolute cheapest bar of dark chocolate and those little bears and they were DUHLISHUS. And only 1,57. That's as much as a bar of good chocolate. Besides the fact that I don't shop for myself, I've resisted indulging in chocolate bars thanks to their "exorbitant prices." In Germany a good chunk of Milka was like 89 cents, if my memory doesn't deceive me. I KNOW Haribo was 79/89 cents. Here nothing's under a euro (except for my super cheapo offbrand dark chocolate bar which was only 53 cents! =)
Ok so I'm pretty sure that's the whole day except can I note: I actually felt cute today. For those of you who know my wardrobe, try to piece this together: black A shirt + that yellow v neck long shortsleeved shirt + my white button up t-shirt that is in fact the exact same length as the yellow one, only unbuttoned perfectly so that the V's fitted, with my black necklace tied how Kelsey did the one time they dressed me up in the same yellow shirt. With my jeans like Hannah's and a necessary belt. AND I was actually thinking last night and put on eyeliner then so it had time to smudge a little. OK girliness over. :)P
So Claire and I are happy as clams with the house all to ourselves but really need to go to bed so that we can get up and go tomorrow. May have started the weekend a leetle beet early. Love! Kaite
OH PS and I got Alexandra to call me Kaite. It was driving me CRAZY to be called Cattie. She was very understanding about it.
oh and PPS there's new honey in the house now. because you really care. ;)
oh and PPPS I really really like the people in my class. I hope we get to do something together outside of class and if not, well, at least I have cool people to see every day. I like my lunch buddies too. And Andrea and Laura are cool too. =)
oh and PPPS I must really love you people to spend twenty precious minutes writing this. =)
Yay! It's good to know that you're alive.
ReplyDeleteAnd face, meet my palm. Because you don't have to wait overnight for your eyeliner to smudge. You can do that yourself. With a pinky finger. Or something. Please do that next time. Please? My face and palm don't really like each other, so they'd rather not have to meet again. (It's kind of like a "so we meet again" relationship. Not good.)
Great post, though! Love ya!
Ab
Yes, we do appreciate the daily update--so thanks! And I'm impressed that you can write all of that in 20 minutes!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a very full, fun day.
We did laugh about your overnight eyeliner smudging technique!
Your class assignment sounded funny. No reason writing shouldn't be entertaining, huh?
Love you!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSee, I'm with Kaite on this one, I totally understand the overnight eyeliner smudge thing. It's so much better the second day. Not that I ever wear eyeliner, but hey!
ReplyDeleteAnd yes. Even though I still have school, I want to chocolate cover things :-)
My little Cattie:
I hate to have to write this letter, but I must espress my feelings. Your sweetness has disappeared. I'm afraid this recent betrayal is driving a wedge of darkness (oh the bitterness!) between us. I am sorry you have to resort to settling with my cheapo cousin while completely ignoring the richer side of life with me. Everything used to be so smooth between us, but all trust has completely melted.
Distastefully not yours,
Milka
PS I do not see why blogger has to tell the world that I deleted a comment. I simply had to make my letter more espressive.
Dear Loser (Chris)
ReplyDeleteHannah, that's awesome.
ReplyDelete