Sunday, January 16, 2011

First not-first day in France--figure THAT one out

This morning I decided which church to go to by default: the one that started latest. There was a bit of a mixup between me and Emily about 1. If I was going or not 2. If she was going or not 3. If I was going to her house or not. So I went to her house and her very nice, very welcoming family said she had said she was going to meet me there. So that made me a little late and I figured she'd already be there, but she hadn't known for sure that I was coming and didn't want to go by herself so she ended up heading back. But she wants to go next week! I ended up, by some strange American magnetism, sitting next to a BG masters student. The service was very nice--pianist accompaniment to the congregation with a woman who gesticulated out the direction of the songs. I knew a couple of them ("When I look upon your holiness...I worship you" which we also sang in Germany, the one hymn that they sing when Meg gets married in Little Women, Lord Reign in Me, and a couple I didn't know). The pastor talked about Isaiah 53 and missions and stuff, kind of a global perspective but also a "what about us French" perspective too. There was a little tyke who ran up and down like the three rows behind me up to ours--moving her bottle, messing with her coat--all absolutely silently except for her little footsteps. Really cute.

After the service, I met another Kate, from England, and some actual French people finally! They have a young adult thing Wednesday night that I'll probably go to--planned to meet Laura (the BG grad student) to walk there. I kind of feel like I should get a portable (cell phone) but I really don't want to....blah. I like being disconnected (except that the whole thing this morning would've been completely avoided had I had a cell phone) but the point is to kind of get connected with a different culture, sooooo...and I don't want to spend the money either. Blah.

Um, then I decided the sunshine was too awesome to avoid, so after eating a delicious lunch with Claire (Hervé and Isabelle had gone for a run) I walked by the river for like an hour or two and ended up completely fatigued but glad that I had soaked it up. Then I tidied up and posted my pictures, as promised (thanks for the comments) and then Stéphane and Anne-Sophie came for dinner again which was fun and lively and I managed to mostly keep track of the general gist of the conversation. One of the courses was cheese, of course, today including one that Hervé said would not have passed US health inspection. I had yogurt. ;) The applesauce included kiwi today and was the best one yet. I managed to talk pretty well I think except that I still stutter horribly if I get stuck on something. Eek! Hopefully that'll get better. And I laughed some. And it was nice to sing at church! Not singing for a whole week was really weird!!

I did my laundry, without too much drama, and now I should probably go get the last bit and go to bed because tomorrow is classes and waking up in the dark again (I loved waking up after the sun today) so I should try to get to bed at a reasonable time (and not read Little Women too late...heh heh ;)

I also got to skype home for a few minutes which was good once we figured out how to make me seen AND heard (I've been doing far too much of the seen but not heard bit...)

Well, the first week of adjustment is over and now hopefully a routine will emerge--once I know what level I'm in and stuff.

I have more I could say, but my laundry is calling me from the "cave" (basement) and I don't hear anyone so I feel like they all went to bed...

and I should soon too.

My two little things: I don't WANT to turn into someone who needs chapstick all the time!!

There are 38 steps up to my room, 18 to the first floor and 20 to mine. There are even more to the "cave," and I'm now going to take all of them. Bonne nuit!

PS: 1. Note to self: The dryer takes approximately 43hundred years.
2. I think it might actually be 39 steps with 21 up to mine, to be verified when I check the laundry again...or just leave it till tomorrow..... ;)

PPS: Final count: Cave to rez-de-chausée (ground floor): 13 steps, not counting the one that's on a level with the ground floor. Rez-de-chausée to first floor: 18 steps. First to second floor: 21 steps. I'm ready for bed! Geez! Oh, and front door to hallway: 4 or 5 steps. Hallway to closet/staircase: 2 steps. aiee!

No comments:

Post a Comment