I like my schedule on Mondays because there are no awkward breaks.
I got good grades on my evaluations that I got back! So I'm feeling pretty good about that...
Tonight I ate early with Claire (and Chubby, who was wandering around--pronounced choo-bee!) and then went to the Café de Langues! Yes, let me explain: this restaurant blocks off their whole second floor and there's a very long french table, a spanish table, a sign language table, and so on, and then they charge you exorbitant amounts of money to have a drink and practice. Tonight I sat with a Greek chick, a chick from Finland, and a French guy. They were not the greatest conversationalists and at any rate it's always really noisy, so the conversation was a bit labored* and I left kind of early--not before having a DELICIOUS two scoops of ice cream. I haven't had any ice cream at all since I left home and this was sooooo good--3,80 for two little scoops, but so rich and delicious...caramel and chocolate. Balanced each other nicely. Inspired by the fact that I would like to see how making caramel-centered cupcakes with caramel frosting upon my return to the states...chocolate base, of course. I'll let you have some if you can guess what THAT was inspired by. =)P *Labored is the type of word that is a little more fancy than "difficult" and makes you a native speaker, whereas in French, I would go to say "labored," realize it's probably not at all the same thing and that I don't know how to express it in the literal sense much less the figurative sense! And then I would just say that it was kind of hard to talk to them. Not nearly as schnazzy.
Other than that, after class I headed up to the institute's library with all the Asian girls (who are all really nice and I hope they keep letting me into their loose group) to pick a subject for my exposé. I ended up with the fact that a fast food chain here has introduced halal food because of the decent-sized muslim population. There were enough articles about it that I feel like I got a pretty good understanding of the issue and there are plenty of angles to discuss. Hopefully none TOO polemic...we're a diverse classroom! But I think things like, "Is this a purely mercenary attempt?" and "Do you non-muslims feel discriminated against?" (because that's the issue) should be fairly safe? Question mark? I also kind of feel like no one cares enough about class to get TOO riled up... :)P
Oh and I also went for a long walk around the park in front of the house and then when it closed around a very big "block."
Dinner was soupe, omelette with a bit of meat in it, salad that was sweeter dressed than usual and included carrots and avocado, and applesauce for dessert. Well. Then I had ice cream. Which may end up not sitting too well in the morning, but I'll live to eat my honey/bread/yogurt/cereal anyway and to think twice before having ice cream lateish at night.
Enjoyed reading all of your blogs as usual. My eyes refuse to stay open much longer! Good night!
PS: Sorry this is a bit short, but I feel that I have included all of the essential details anyway! This is how it works--as things get more familiar there's less to write about. *shrug*
PPS: I feel that Dr. G should pull examples from my blog posts for students studying phrases/clauses...I couch them within each other like those Russian dolls!
Sounds like you're having a good time Katie! I love reading your blogs :) Praying for ya!
ReplyDeleteI guess ROLOs!
ReplyDeleteThanks for explaining about the Language Cafe--so what language did you practice?
Dinner sounded lovely again.
And your topic sounds interesting too. Do you have to lead a class discussion on it then?
Glad you got good grades! Good job! Love you!