Let me just preface all this by saying I feel much better now.
6:00 am: Wake up feeling pretty much like I did the day after Christmas: headache from lack of sleep and too much food right before bed.
7:40 am: look at the clock and wonder if I've really been awake for more than an hour and a half or if I read my watch wrong the first time...
8:20ish: doze off again, which made my head feel much better at
8:40ish: wake up, because class was at 10, and promptly lose all of my dinner, which made me feel much better stomach-wise but kind of weak.
*manage to get ready really durpily*
9:30ish: manage to find a baggie to pack some special K for later.
9:55: get to l'institut and discover that I'm in a class with two other BG girls.
11: break, decide that I should probably eat/drink something so that I'm not running on empty. Choose orange juice because at this point I'm thinking, oh, I just ate too much too late last night and that usually doesn't affect me THAT badly, but I'm all messed up and sleepless anyway so what would you expect? Munch on a bit of special K. Manage to keep it all down till RIGHT after class ended.
12:00--went back in the room to get my stuff and got promptly ordered to go home and go to bed. Prof wrote down the name in French for "flu" and two medicines I can take. So I left and told the other BG students that I was sick and going home and they said they would tell the director for me.
12:15: got home and told Isabelle I was sick, who immediately went into nursing mother mode and pulled out Coke, applesauce, and rice and told me to go rest. I went upstairs and couldn't fall asleep so I read a HUGE chunk of Little Women on my Kindle and eventually took this powder in water stuff that's supposed to help.
Afternoon: read and napped on and off and am feeling much better, though still weak because I'll I've really had today was like, 3/4 of a small coke and a few bites of applesauce. But if I can sleep well tonight and keep some breakfast down I feel confident that I can maybe go to class some tomorrow. I may not just for the sake of not getting anyone else sick, but I'd rather not miss too much class, especially since this is the week where we determine if we're in the right level or not.
And see, I'm a bit torn about classes. Because I got placed at level 4 of 6, which is lower than my other classes that I've taken at Kent, however, it's GRAMMAR AND PHONETICS: MY FAVORITES!!!! And I mean, if I've forgotten enough that it's necessary that I have a refresher, I'm OK with calling it "advanced phonetics" and "advanced conversation and composition," which is what we usually call "you've forgotten this all since your elementary courses"-type classes at Kent. But, if it's just going to be a whole semester of review and I'll be bored or something...but if I can get really good grades \;)...but if switching means a bunch of lit...Yeah, we'll see. Sometime. Not really sure when, but sometime.
All in all, I feel very well cared for and on the mend. Well, I mean, at least I'm keeping food down. And I have plenty of the kid's books to read and Isabelle just gave me a refresher on which medicines I can take when (I have three--who knew there were so many medicines for the flu??). Plus I have my whole entire kindle, donc, ça marche. (so, that works). I actually kind of feel hungry! yippee. :)P
And so, in conclusion, this has not been how I expected today to go, but now that I'm feeling better I'm pretty OK with it. Ce matin était affreux, (this morning was horrible) but now that I've taken a couple little naps I feel much better.
I will keep you posted, don't worry about me. Between my host family and my professors, I am in good hands.
For all of our amusement, I have created a picture of how I looked when I got back from school.

Très amusant, non?
Very amusing, no?
My dear Katie,
ReplyDeleteSo sad you are/were sick, and praying that you will feel much better when you wake up on Wednesday. I can pray while you sleep! Love you!