Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Today was a good day!

Despite all the classes, there was sunshine and fun and friends and productivity which all made today really good! =D

For class this morning I actually got to talk to Z for most of the first hour because I had already finished yesterday the letter we were supposed to be working on today and she hadn't been there to start yesterday so she didn't have a partner to make her finish. So that was fun! =D

For lunch, I went to the Sandwicherie with Hannah and Emily and got exactly what I wanted: pâtes à la bolognaise, and then we went to the French Coffee Shop (No really, that's its name) and since we were there I went all out and got a cappuccino (despite my recent bad experiences, I decided it was OK because decaf was 30 cents more and it was like 4 hours earlier than on Sunday...although I'm not really sleepy yet...8-| ) AND cookie and caramel on top of the cappuccino! It was very tasty and kept me from having chocolate later because I had gone all out. 4,50, man! It's like Starbucks or something! ...Only, the numbers are the same so it's really more expensive.

I wasn't at all sleepy in afternoon class ( =D ) and we talked about SDFs (homeless people) and our perceptions of them (for example, how much it's their fault, whether or not we avoid them like the plague or aren't afraid to say hi) and stuff. So that was interesting!

I felt bad in my last class because I completely forgot about my little project I'm supposed to be doing to get a grade--but it's OK because we did the same thing in class today and I feel more prepared to tackle it now. We did a market analysis of wine moulleux (soft?) in class and I'm supposed to be doing one of chocolate. ;)

After class, I got money out of my refilled account with my new debit card, finally, so I just paid Isabelle back (Y) (Y) <=two thumbs way up. :) Although I think I must have a limit on withdrawals or something because it never lets me take out 300 euro...I should try 299 sometime. =)P I came back here and did my homework and prepared for talking at the young adults' church meeting tomorrow (everyone shares something and I've come enough but haven't yet so they were like, Your turn! but it's all cool). I'm going to talk about how God's supposed to be involved in our lives all the time, in all the details. "Pray without ceasing" "the hairs on your head are numbered" and whatnot. :)

After going to the French Coffee Shop, Hannah, Emily and I decided that since Emily was going to be home alone we were going to go to her house and have a super healthy dinner! And we did! The only thing that maybe wasn't healthy about it was the quantity--but dude--we were so healthy!

Fruit: kiwi, bananas, clementines, grapes
Veggies: Broccoli and carrots (with hummus!)
Bread: The two half-loaves of bread from the brothers and sisters in Paris (one super whole grain, one sweet with raisins and whatnot), and about half a baguette :)
and then we also had salad (mache? It's like my favorite...apparently it's called lamb's lettuce) which Hannah had the brilliant idea to top with my trail mix =D It was really good!! May be my dinner tomorrow... =D
and of course, some camembert :)

They had also bought what they thought was a bottle of wine, but apparently, when they were looking at the cheapest one the proprietor was like, "I don't speak English but that's not good." So they asked for something cheap but good and he ran away and came back with what ended up being champagne. Emily's like, "My host dad would be all mad at us for drinking champagne when we're not celebrating something." Whatever! =D I tried some to see if it was any less gross. Nope, just as gross. But then with like, 80-90% orange juice and 10-20% champagne, that was palatable. For all my non-alcoholic-drink-drinker people, it's basically like adding sprite to orange juice but the alcohol brings out the bitterness instead of bringing out the sweetness like sprite does.

It was super fun to just have girls night (but without the large amounts of chocolate/sugar that make us end up feeling gross and guilty afterwards) and feel like we were like, cooking, even though everything (except for the toasted bread I guess) was raw(ly delicious). And we could just laugh and be silly and have fun and tell random stories and be super excited about our delicious meal. =D We quite enjoyed ourselves. Hannah's as into me getting my hair cut as I am (probably especially since she got her hair cut here and she just really likes that kind of stuff in general. Apparently 27 euro Chanel mascara is worth it...I'll take her word for it. ;)

It made me excited for our weekend trip coming up! =D

When I got back, Isabelle, Herve and Stephane were still all around the table (at the cheese stage I think) so I sat and listened to how people in France don't want to get vaccinated and it drives doctors crazy. Like, "hepatitis B vaccinations cause multiple sclerosis! ahh!" Stephane's doing an internship currently with vaccinating people before they go on trips which he said is interesting because you get to talk to people about their trip and stuff. He also talked about this one class where they learned that the abortion rate is like 250,000 a year in France, up to 12 weeks into pregnancy. That provoked quite a discussion! Everyone agreed that it was sad; the discussion was about causes and remedies and rights of doctors not to do abortions if they don't want to etc. (I just used a semi colon! =D) And I mostly followed except for a couple times when Stephane REALLY got going. There was also something about diabetes in there which I actually followed decently well thanks to what I remember about diabetes from nutrition class.

So I'm thinking that on our trip to Provence (south eastern France) this weekend I may try to do some shopping because I think it's less expensive (and more fun!) there. If I buy things when it's special it's less likely to become habitual. So I need to make a list of things I would really like to get (a pair of shoes, a scarf or two, maybe a skirt?) and a budget and then see how that all works out. At least if I have a budget I'll know when I'm going over it. =)P

Wednesdays are always a long day so Imunna peace out and wish you all a lovely evening! Tchuss!

6 comments:

  1. Mmmm...sounds like you had some delicious, and (mostly) nutritious food today! And some very fun girl time. Do we have pictures of Hannah and Emily? I don't have a picture in my head of them.

    Going to Provence sounds so French vacation-like. You know, "the south of France." Hope you have lovely weather to go with your lovely trip. And that you find some cool things on your list!

    I'm glad you have such an interesting host family. I love how they sit around the table and discuss important things! And I'm glad you can follow most of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted a comment - but blogger didn't like it. Oh well. Now you have another comment. But not really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *sigh* ... That sounds so lovely...

    And that whole healthy meal thing? that sounds good too. Maybe I should try that... haha!

    Funny! I was just learning about diabetes in Nutrition this morning! :-) I should have given you a refresher course hours before the actual thing, haha! :-P

    Hope that this weekend rocks! I have a feeling it will... *kelsey eyebrow wiggle*

    ReplyDelete
  4. So Katie's not allowed to have coffee, and Abigail isn't allowed to have coke. Who else am I forgetting to keep an eye out for disastrous decisions. Oh, and how long of a trip this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Mom: They're tagged in a picture I'm tagged in of 5 of us all in a line with sunshine behind us...probably not the best for faces, but a picture does exist! Make Abby find it. Makayla uploaded them. :)
    @Hannah: I totally did the Kelsey eyebrow wiggle just to prove that I knew what you were talking about.
    @Nick: Friday afternoon to Monday night! =) And who says I can't have coffee??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that people imitate my facial twitches :)
    and I'm excited for your shopping!!! (the last word should be read in a singing voice)

    ReplyDelete